Wednesday, January 23, 2013

The Suit


One thing about the Foreign Service, I have to wear suits more often. Apparently a lot more often. Like most everything else in the Foreign Service, it depends a lot on the post.

When I started working in corporate America in the late 1990s, I bought one suit to interview in.  I was hired to work at the corporate headquarters of a big company where they still had to wear a jacket and tie each day. Fortunately, I was at an annex - still had the wear the tie but not a jacket.  I just kept a blue blazer on hand in case I had to go to the main office - very rare.

The dress code gradually loosened over the years I was there - first business casual on Fridays, then business casual every day.  Fortunately again, they went all business casual every day before I moved to the main office.  Eventually we went to jeans on Friday until finally, in late 2011, they abolished the dress code completely. I wore jeans every day after that.  All that time I kept the one suit for weddings, funerals and job interviews.  I was wearing it when I interviewed (took the oral assessment in State speak) for the Foreign Service.

So now I've had to buy some more and I'm still not used to it. I just don't feel comfortable in a suit.  I know I'm supposed to feel confident  but I don't.  I've just decided to stick with grey or navy suits, white shirt (maybe a blue one if I'm feeling crazy) and I'll favor pretty plain ties (stripes or a simple pattern).  Treat it like it's a work uniform.  Like when I worked at Whatburger.  At least these aren't polyester.



1 comment: