Monday, August 13, 2012

In which I know that I should be insanely busy, but am not entirely certain what I should be doing

That pretty much sums things up here with 19 days left in Dallas.  We have met with the movers who assure us everything we now own will be well under the weight granted to us by the government.  They have also told us that we are NOT to pack anything or put things into boxes.  They need to be the ones to do all of the wrapping of items and packing.  So we continue to sort and discard some, but that is pretty tricky when you don't know where on this planet you are going.  We have also shed many of the things that have marked our middle-class life -- the second car, insurance on the car, the house is on the market. It is nerve-wracking to get rid of these things and these routines that have been a hallmark of our life for years.  Giving up the kids spot in school was definitely the biggest bridge that we burned.  Once we did that, I knew we were actually going through with this.  Many aspects of this shedding and sorting are down-right freeing. I have to say that if I never have to enter a Home Depot again, I will be a happy woman. Of course, I might change my tune in a few years. Right now, I find the thought of not owning all of this stuff liberating.

There are also hard parts as reality really sets in. More tears from all of us lately. I cry every time I think about dealing with my daughter's playhouse.  We created a little wonderland in our backyard for the kids.  My dad and Chris built her little house themselves and we gave it to her when she turned 2. I KNOW realistically that we can't bring it with us. I know this -- it is heavy, unwieldy and unlikely to survive being transplanted. It doesn't fit in with our new nomadic lifestyle. But my dad and Chris built it.  I will miss my parents and I know they will miss me, Chris and the kids.  The playhouse is a tangible reminder of their love and support. All of us will carry that love and support with us wherever we go -- I know that.  But sometimes letting go can be hard.  There is lots of that going on right now though. One baby is starting kindergarten, one middle school and one high school.  I'm thrilled that they are growing bigger and more capable of experiencing life, but this is definitely accompanied by sadness at how fast they grow.  How hard it is to let them go more and more into the world. I'd bet parents feel that whether their kids are 5 or 50. 




No comments:

Post a Comment