Friday, August 17, 2012

Favorite Reactions to the News

This week I started telling co-workers that I'm leaving.  That's usually followed by an explanation of what the Foreign Service is.  I say something like "I'm joining the Foreign Service. I will be working  for the State Department, working in embassies and consulates"

Reactions vary a lot.  Some of my favorites (paraphrased, obviously):

Co-worker:  Do you need to relocate?
Me: Yes.  Virginia for a few months, then an embassy or consulate somewhere, according to the needs of the service.
Co-worker: Cool, maybe it will be someplace exotic, like Hawaii

Co-worker:  Aren't you a little old for that sort of thing?*
Me: Yeah, it's a mid-life crisis.

Co-worker: So desperate to get away from Dallas that you need to leave the country?
Me:  No, wouldn't say that.  I've had a good run here. I'll likely have to deal with things like TB or Malaria. I'm probably increasing my risk.
Co-worker:  They have shots for TB and Malaria.  There's no vaccine for this place

*I'm 44

Note to grammar enthusiasts:  If this blog were widely read, this post would likely generate comments criticizing the use of the hyphen in co-worker, followed by more comments defending the hyphen.  I did careful research ( spent a minute googling it) and there is no consensus.  AP guidelines say use the hyphen, Chicago Manual of Style does not use the hyphen.






No comments:

Post a Comment