Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Chinese Chair Skating

So, I've been asked by several folks about the weather in Beijing. It apparently gets quite, quite cold in the winter. Mostly a very dry cold (very little snow) punctuated by wind that blows in from the Mongolian steppes.  Sometimes I can't believe I'm typing these sentences.  I've been told to bring serious coats and winter clothes for all of us. Lakes and rivers often freeze for long periods of time. Instead of strapping on bulky ice skates and attempting to glide along these frozen ponds, the Chinese sit on a wooden pallet chair and propel themselves along with ski poles.  Very clever and perfect for those of us who never truly learned to ice skate (um, most of my Texas brood).  Now when planning a trip, I've heard that September and October are the loveliest months to visit Beijing.  You can rest assured, however, that if you do end up here in the winter, we can find lots of stuff to entertain you.  If you don't mind the winds off the Mongolian steppes....


1 comment:

  1. yes. it is almost impossible to think you are writing these lines! So calm, so collected...
    Ice skating looks great.

    ReplyDelete